Friday 2 May 2014

Katelyn 1 / DDH - 0

Well, we're off the hook. And I am pinching myself.
Following Katelyn's checkup at age three and a half back in February, her hips look perfect and we don't have to have another checkup until - wait for it - she goes to school (Feb 2016).
This is entirely unexpected. You know the whole glass half-full or glass-empty person - well, the latter, sometimes, is me. I'm not proud of it, but that's just the way I am. I was expecting the worst.  I was so scared about the checkup appointment. Not just because I was unable to attend (due to the challenges of being a then-casual teacher) but because I was aware of what Kate's late diagnosis could potentially mean. It's really an uphill battle from the start.
When Grant called me on 6 February to say that Kate's x-rays were clear, I (rather embarrassingly) shed a tear outside the History staff-room. I composed myself and then bought a bottle of champagne, and some chocolates (for Kate and the boys!), on the way home from school.
We're not out of the woods, yet. There is the likelihood of further surgery as Katelyn grows up. But, for now, I am going to let her jump on our trampoline and have fun with her friends at Physie
Cheers! To my beautiful, brave and determined 'lil' girl, Katelyn xx

No comments:

Post a Comment