Saturday 26 May 2012

See you on the other side....

I woke up on our lounge this morning to Miss Katelyn crawling in to nestle under the warmth of the Winter quilt. I had decided to camp out on the lounge rather than risk waking Grant as I tossed and turned and, besides, there was another restless (little) woman sharing our bed last night with flaming pink teething cheeks.


As the morning sun crept through the crack in the curtains, I relished this lovely quiet moment, choosing to stay awake rather than surrender to sleep. I savoured the sound of Katelyn's steady breathing and the scent of her hair as she cuddled her soft little sleepsuit-clad body against mine. As she murmured and gently curled her fingers around mine in some sweet dream, I watched the early light dance across the room and made plans for the day.


We'll need to be at the hospital by 7am tomorrow for Katelyn's 11.45am surgery. I suppose I'll have to pack our bags, but that can wait. Packing will just make it all seem real, so denial will work for me today.  I'm going to kit Katelyn out in her pink Oobi jeans, her twinkle-toe Skechers and one of her cute little tops which will be too small for her once she's in her cast. The boys are battling the dreaded pinkeye, so we can't venture too far from home. We'll play outside on the swings and let Katelyn go up-and-down-and-up-and-down the slippery dip to her heart's content. We'll have a little disco party so the kids can dance along with me and Grant to bad 90s music clips. I will serve some of Kate's favourites - spiral pasta chicken bake and crumbly choc-caramel tarts - without having to worry about any mess slipping down into her plaster. And tonight, she can have an extra deep and extra long bath-time with her brothers and they can splash around as much as they like.


I am grateful for all the hugs, offers of help and words of reassurance. We are buoyed by the support and I know it will help keep us all strong. See you on the other side xx

No comments:

Post a Comment